Monday, August 17, 2009

Washington Nationals sign Stephen Strasburg

So Stephen Strasburg has signed with the Washington Nationals. I'm happy to see that this is finally over with. Now both the Nationals and Strasbrug could go on with their lives. Now on to reality, Strasburg made it seemed like it was so hard to accept a contract worth over $15 million for four years.

This is a quote from ESPN.com
"It feels awesome. I got a little nervous there for a while that it might not happen, but I feel very blessed," Strasburg told ESPN's Pedro Gomez. "I'm not sure of the plan right now. They said they'd bring me up for the media. They said to take my time to get ready. It's an amazing feeling. I really wasn't sure if it was going to happen, but I'm glad it did."

Yeah I bet he was real nervous counting his money with Scott Boras. Why can't an average joe like us have something like this fall on our laps? Imagine our boss saying "here is $3 million for the year for that superb prensentation".
I guess I just don't understand MLB baseball teams sometimes. I know they are hoping that Strasburg will make it big on his debut. And that he possibly helps the Nationals make that money back with tickets and jersey sales. But little do they notice that we as fans are sick of seeing this over and over again.
They throw all this money at an unproven player. Granted he did great in the Minor Leagues but last time I heard we are still going through a recession. Throwing all this money at one player is a huge risk for any team. Do teams learn from history? A few names come to mind when I see stuff like this happen, Todd Van Poppel, Matt Bush, Luke Hochevar and many others.
I hope the best for the Nationals and Strasburg. But I bet there are thousands of fans waiting to say "I told you so" to the Washington Nationals.

No comments:

Post a Comment